Recipe for Ech bbe mula kawal
For the couscous:
- 1.25 kg Sorghum flour
- 1.5 Litres of water
For the gumbo sauce:
- 1 Litre of water
- 1 Small cup of gumbo
- 2 Tablespoons of salt
- 3 Onions
- 1 Small cup of oil
- 1 Tomato
- Kawal (local spice: kinkeliba)
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- ½ Cup of meat powder
- To prepare the couscous, boil some water, then add the sorghum flour.
- Stir until the liquid turns into a soft dough.
- For the gumbo sauce, fry some onions and tomatoes with garlic and gumbo in hot oil.
Then add the water, a dash of sugar, a pinch of kawal, the meat powder and a pinch of salt.
- To make the kawal powder, the leaves need to be kept in a jar with water for two to three days.
Subsequently, the leaves are dried in the sun and pound to powder.
- Stir the sauce until it is boiling. Let the sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the couscous and gumbo sauce side by side on a platter.
- Saha ! (Enjoy!)